Building Kernel w/ crosstool

greetings,

embedded developer/crosstool newbie here who just successfully built a toolchain. wow that was easy! thank you dan kegel!

now my next step is to build myself a kernel, but I was unclear how best to proceed: do i want to build the kernel using the source that was untarred into the build directory? or was that just to produce the kernel headers for building the toolchain? and if that's the case, then I don't really need to customize the .config file (i686.config in my case) as that was just to run make config. right? i hope that's right b/c then applying kernel patches (i.e. netfilters) can be deferred until after the toolchain is built.

i really like crosstool's idea of decoupling the 'creation of toolchains' from the 'usage of toolchains'. i had adopted the format used by Karim Yaghmour in Building Embedded Linux Systems which seemed to couple the embedded project with the toolchain itself. it was my desire to escape that constraint which led me to Google, which led me to crosstool. :)