tool chain directory hierarchy

Can somebody explain the directory gcc toolchain hierarchy, or where I can find out how it is organized, and why?

I built a powerpc tool chain, and there seems to be two levels to it
In the following example, PREFIX was set to /data/tools/gcc-powerpc-linux

$ pwd
/data/tools/gcc-powerpc-linux
$ ls
bin  distributed  include  info  lib  man  powerpc-linux  tmp
$ ls powerpc-linux
bin  etc  include  info  lib  libexec  sbin  share  sys-include  usr
$

The tools in the top level bin contain what appear to be copies of
tools in the lower level bin, renamed with a prefix.
And most of the .a files appear in the lower level tree.

Thanks

--
eo99@hotmail.net