Re: ldrb vs ldrh in gcc-3.4.4 (ARM)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Steven Scholz wrote:

I noticed that gcc-3.4.4 for ARM is using byte wise loading instructions although word wise would be much better. Does anyone know why? gcc-3.3.3 is

Besides the efficiency argument this can get you into _serious_ trouble if you need to access hardware, for example a flash chip, with a certain data width. I always hated that GCC couldn't be bothered to tell when it breaks up a "volatile unsigned long *" into smaller units. Regardless of C's weak types, I believe breaking a "volatile" is a serious offense on GCC's part. Or did I miss some fancy warning option?

Regards,
Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger@sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software