Re: Building Win32 apps on Linux? (To Cygwin users on the list...)

Brian Dessent wrote:

Toralf Lund wrote:

I guess I've just bought Red Hat's story on this, i.e. (from
http://www.redhat.com/software/cygwin/):

[ ... ]

Yes. But apparently, it's being built on a Linux host...

That is one developer's preference.

The way I understand the comments earlier on this thread, that's a very inaccurate description of the situation. We're not talking about (any) "one developer", but the developer(s) who built *the official binary release*.

 I don't see how it has anything to
do with the scope and vision of the project, which does not include
supporting linux binaries.

By this line of reasoning, volunteer-run linux distros like Fedora and
Debian should ship win32-hosted linux-targeted binaries of gcc, since
hey, some linux users might have windows systems too.

Again, that's not the same thing at all. I was referring to the Co-Project Leader (title taken from e-mail signature) of the project. Not "some user" or "a developer".

How do you think
the fedora packagers would react if you told them they should support
windows binaries in their distro?

That would be a completely different situation. The fedora packagers don't build their distro under Windows, do they?

Do you think they would have any
desire to do so?  Would their package system even have the machinery to
support foreign binaries?

Brian