Re: Building Win32 apps on Linux? (To Cygwin users on the list...)

Christopher Faylor wrote:

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 06:52:15PM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:

Brian Dessent wrote:

Toralf Lund wrote:

All I was trying to say
was that I'd be surprised if a large proportion of your user base
wouldn't want a full cross building setup, if you chose to include it.

Most Cygwin users are using Cygwin precisely because they (for whatever
reason) have a Windows machine and not a *nix machine, but they still
desire to run *nix-like software on their machine.  A linux-hosted
Cygwin cross compiler would be of no use to these people.

I guess I've just bought Red Hat's story on this, i.e. (from http://www.redhat.com/software/cygwin/):

The Cygwin web site is http://cygwin.com/

Why Use Cygwin?

 One of the largest problems developers face today is supporting
 their applications on disparate platforms. Windows workstations
 continue to be added to an environment already populated by Linux
 and other UNIX-based Operating Systems. Using Cygwin, developers can
 manage heterogeneous environments in a consistent, efficient way.
 Cygwin brings a standard UNIX/Linux shell environment, including
 many of its most useful commands to the Windows platform, so IT
 managers can effectively deploy trained staff, and leverage existing
 investments in UNIX/Linux source code and shell scripts.

But if you say that Cygwin isn't commonly used like that, I guess I'll have to take your word for it, since I don't really know a lot about the product or its user base.

You might notice the lack of the word "cross" above. The above
describes what I said Cygwin was used for. It provides an environment
*for windows*. It is not a cross compilation environment *for linux*.

Please try to read and understand what I actually say, instead of responding in this heated manner based on your own notions about what people like me might mean.

I never said that I thought Cygwin was a cross compiler, or that cross compilation is or should be it's main purpose. I asked at one point if the cross compilation setup used to build the Cygwin binaries was or could be included in some form, but that's different.

All I've said is that *a cross compiler might be useful to Cygwin users*. But in fact, the above quote from Red Hat was included as I was saying that I could be wrong, as a way of explaining how I reached my original conclusion. That will become amazingly clear if you read it in context.

- Toralf