Re: On limits.h problem between 0.29 and 0.38

Martin Fouts wrote:
I've googled, but couldn't find an answer. Sorry if I missed it.

We've been using crosstool 0.29 to build arm tool chains for a few
months and have had good luck compiling fairly complicated stuff with
the resulting toolchain.

Recently, I tried upgrading to 0.38 and now compiles fail.  The
particular problem seems similar to one that Dan Kegel reported agains
GCC 3.4.3 and 4.0 in the gcc mailing list, but I'm not entirely sure it
is.  We using the demo-arm-softfloat.sh to build the compilers.

The symptom amount to the include file

$(PATH_TO_CROSS_COMPILER)/lib/gcc/arm-softfloat-linux-gnu/3.4.1/include/limits.h

Being different. As far as I can tell, 0.29 "does the right thing" so
that gcc chains the inclusion of syslimits.h, but 0.38 "does the wrong
thing" so that gcc fails to chain.

This is nearly certainly the problem I reported on the gcc mailing list and in bugzilla. Have a look at http://gcc.gnu.org/PR22541 I include a patch to deal with this for gcc-3.4.3 and gcc-4.0.1, but not for 3.4.1. Can you use gcc-3.4.3 instead of gcc-3.4.1? Or try doing cd crosstool-0.38/patches cp gcc-3.4.3/fix-fixincl.patch gcc-3.4.1/

Incidentally, the patch might make it harder to move the resulting
toolchain to a new directory after building it (unless you use my
fix-embedded-paths.c).  The better fix would be for crosstool.sh
to do a couple mkdir's before building gcc; the bug only happens when
$PREFIX is an empty dir.  Crosstool started hitting it when I stopped
building the bootstrap and the final gcc into the same $PREFIX.
- Dan