1/2 OT: my own libtool ...

Hi folks,

since I had trouble over trouble with libtool and sysroot'ed
building, I've sit down an wrote my own implementation, which
is in fact an frontend for my first attemts of some platform
independent toolchain wrapper called unitool.

you can get it via cvs:

    cvs://anoncvs@nibiru.metux.de/home/cvs/unitool/unitool-java

I'm now planning to get some step further:

Not just abstracting the toolchain commands, but instead create
a simplicistic model for declaring the structure of common
software types, ie. libraries or executables, so we can easily
write build tools for every target we want, without having to
hack around makefiles, etc. We just declare *exactly* what makes
up our package (and nothing more) and let the appropriate build
tool do the dirty work. Platform dependent things and even
file locations, output formats, etc are completely out the scope
of the package developer now.

For a simple library our build info could look like this:

    style:		c-library-plain-1.0
    library:		foo
    source:		a.c b.c d.c
    private-header:	defs.h
    header-prefix:	foo/
    public-header:	foo_core.h foo_one.h foo_two.h
    import-library:	X11

Of course there have to be more complex things, ie. platform dependent
or user-selected features, feature dependencies, etc.

... what do you think about this ?

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de