Re: more pedantry: what is the purpose of ${PREFIX}/${TARGET}?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
  working my way thru the crosstool code, i'm trying to understand the
layout of a build's "results" directory.  using my example again, i
get a results directory with the structure:

  results/
    gcc-4.0.1-glibc-2.3.5/		TOOLCOMBO
      sh3-unknown-linux-gnu/		TARGET
        ... the actual toolchain and intermediate stuff here ...

with the variable

PREFIX=<results dir>/${TOOLCOMBO}/${TARGET}

fair enough thus far but it's not clear why there's yet *another*
subdirectory there with the name:

${PREFIX}/${TARGET}

which means the directory "sh3-unknown-linux-gnu" has a subdirectory
with the same name, which would seem kind of redundant.

I wasn't quite sure multiple installations of gcc for different targets could really coexist in the same PREFIX, so I use a different PREFIX for each. Once we verify this works, we can set PREFIX to simply <results dir>/${TOOLCOMBO}

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of loose ends that
keep this from working as intended for all versions of
gcc.
- Dan

-- Trying to get a job as a c++ developer? See http://kegel.com/academy/getting-hired.html