Changing glibc and linux after a crosstool build

If I read the archives correctly I understand that gcc is dependent on the target glibc. I'll be honest and say that while I can understand perfectly why gcc would be dependent on a host glibc, I find the whole being dependent on the target glibc thing just wierd. Having said that I'll just accept this as a valuable gcc feature that I just don't understand!

Given that glibc is itself dependent on linux, crosstool therefore needs the glibc version, linux headers and linux config. (I hope I'm right so far)

What I'm trying to understand is if I've built gcc for a target platform, is it possible to change the linux version, linux headers or glibc version, or do I need to rebuild gcc etc if I make changes to these? If the answer is it depends upon what you change, it would be really useful to have an idea of what changes would require gcc to be rebuilt and what changes wouldn't.

I'm specifically interested in installing packages on the target system that modify the linux config file, and modify kernel code (e.g. freeswan). I'm also interested in using uClibc and was thinking I might use the gcc I build with crosstool to build uClibc, and use this instead of glibc on the target platform.

What I'm worried about is the code that gcc etc. produce for a platform being specific to the glibc or linux version it was built against, which sounds like a really silly thing to let happen and probably means this is a really stupid question, but the dependency on the target glibc has kinda confused me.

Thanks,

Tony.