Re: what's the current situation with gcc releases and snapshots?

"Robert P. J. Day" wrote:

>   what means this?  does this mean that an official gcc-4.1 release is
> imminent and that further work is now going to concentrate on gcc-4.2?
> and where would be the best place to keep up with these developments?
> thanks.

Several weeks ago a new branch for 4.1 was created.  This means that the
trunk/mainline (which will become 4.2) enters stage 1, which means that
a ton of pet projects that add substantial new features that have been
waiting in the wings for the green light to merge will now be given
permission.

I don't know if that necessarily means that a 4.1 release is soon, but
it does mean that a line has been drawn in terms of swiching gears from
regression fix to new features.

It must be hard working with essentially four code bases now: 3.4, 4.0,
4.1, and trunk.  I think that most developers are keen to keep 4.1 and
the trunk in sync as much as possible -- at least for bugfixes -- so
that there's no backporting later.

As far as keeping up, Mark Mitchell's posts on the gcc mailing list are
the best source, since he's the 4.x release manager:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-11/msg00826.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-11/msg00892.html

Brian