being able to update crosstool on short notice, and patches

  after i thought about it, it occurs to me that i don't think all of
crosstool needs to be put into a version control system, as much as
there should be a rapid-response way to add new patches since most of
the submissions to crosstool are just that -- additional patches.  so
it would be mostly sufficient to just have a web-accessible repo
somewhere of submitted patches if one wanted to keep things simple.

  in my case, the vast majority of the content i submitted was just
patches/ directories for gcc-4.0.2 and glibc-2.3.6, so it's not like
that had to be physically crammed into crosstool.  that was completely
new content.

  if you go to the crosstool site, there is a crosstool patch repo
directory, but that represents only the patches that are *already* in
crosstool.  what i think would be useful would be a second directory
of patches that were added *since* the last version, which is all that
95% of the users would care about.

  in fact, my mini build script supports an arbitrary number of
"patches" directories, so i can keep my personal patches separate from
the crosstool install directory.  this makes life a lot easier.

rday