Re: autoconf.h and a cygwin toolchain

On 1/16/06, Wedde, Thomas <thomas.wedde@hfwk.de> wrote:
> so finally I got my cygwin-linux-crosscompiler working and it builds
> fine linux executables on my windows-host.
> (here the facts:
> - glibc 2.3.2
> - gcc 3.2.3
> - linux kernel 2.6.9)
>
> But now I seem to come into trouble with the kernel-configuration of the
> crosstool-script.
>
> If I try to compile a kernel module (especially a driver) I get an error
> from the compiler that the "autoconf.h" is missing ...
> Google and this mailing list told me that the reason is a not configured
> kernel ...
> So I tried those things which are already mentioned in this mailing list
> to (re-?)configure the kernel which was build during the
> crosstool-process.
> But this doesn't work, because of the following errors ...
>   HOSTCC  -fPIC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
> scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c:1: warning: -fPIC ignored for target (all
> code is position independent)

You need
http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.38/patches/linux-2.6.8/linux-2.6.8-noshared-kconfig.patch
This was partly described in
http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.38/doc/crosstool-howto.html#cygwin

> Those errors come with a window containing a simply error message with a
> memory-address.

That sounds nasty...

> It seems that I cannot reconfigure the kernel in cygwin, but how did it
> work during the build of the toolchain then!?

You shouldn't be using real kernel headers anymore in crosstool;
the sanitized headers are more reliable.  Perhaps you did in fact
use them (if the .dat file you used ended in -hdrs-2.6.11.2.dat, you did).

> Maybe you can tell how I can work around this.

First off, apply that patch.  Second, you must use a case-sensitive
filesystem to build the kernel!  The way to do this in cygwin
is to use the 'managed' mount option.  See
http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2005-05/msg00131.html
- Dan