Re: [discuss] Problem building cross compiler for x86_64

On 1/21/06, Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:
> The point of a "cross compiler" is that the "host" and "build"
> system are different.  In your case host seems to be a 32 bit
> i386, and build is x86_64/amd64.  This means all your compiler
> exectutables are 32 bit, but they generate 64 bit code.  So this
> far everything seems to be as it should.

Hi,
  Sorry for asking so many stupid questions but i am really confused.
Let me tell u the exact requirement. Basically we are porting our
application to a 64 bit machine and we dont have a compiler for that
so all we want is to have a compiler on 64 bit machine so that our
build succeeds on 64 bit machines. Since I didn't have any prior idea
of doing this thing before and my manager asked me to develop a
compiler for it. As he used the term "cross compilation" while our
talk I searched through net and found that we can build a compiler for
64 bit machines on a 32 bit machine. This is the only info that i have
. My build system is a 32 bit RHEL-4 machine (Old SLES-9 32 bit
machine crashed while doing experiments :-( ) and my host(=target)
will be a 64bit x86_64 AMD64 machine. Please tell me the options i
have for fulfilling this requirement. Is it possible without doing any
cross compilation just using any switches for gcc. Please guide
me...and sorry again for asking silly questions. Thanks in advance

--
Thanks & Regards,
Manish Katiyar