Re: configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (long double), 77

Mike Frysinger wrote:

On Wednesday 25 January 2006 21:12, Martin Bligh wrote:

I took a *very* brief look at config.guess. Isn't it fundamentally
flawed for what you want in that it's trying to work out the
architecture of the running kernel, and what you want to know is the
architecture of userspace?

it does what it does and that's that

Umm. Not sure what that's meant to mean. It would seem that either what it's trying to determine isn't what you want to know, or there's a bug in it. Or are you saying that the answer we wanted in this circumstance really was x86_64, and the bug is in configure / crosstool, etc ?

this is why you can override it with --build/--host/--target configure options

What *exactly* is the thing we're trying to determine here? Presumably the "host" architecture? And does that mean the physical chip, or the userspace you're running in, or what kind of executables the currently running kernel will support?

In which case, I would think that in the enviroment I was running it in, either x86_64 or ia32 would have worked, with "the same as the rest of userspace" being the obvious choice, no?

Still, it does strike me that either ia32 or x86_64 should have worked, so I'm not sure why configure blew up still.

"You can override it" seems like a poor option to me - crosstool is intimidating for new users, and it would be nice if it either gave a clear error or just worked out of the box. The current failure is a little cryptic - if even Dan doesn't know what it means off the top of his head, that seems like a bad sign to me ;-)

M.