Concurrency Bugs and SPARC Help (was: Cygwin->linux crosscompiler make problem)

Brian Dessent wrote:
Sorry, I didn't read all the messages but I think this is he same
problem I had with the long paths in tcb-offsets.h.d in cygwin.
See my solution here:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2005-12/msg00084.html

All I did was making the build path shorter. It looks strange but the
toolchain built an work fine !

The problems I wrote afterwards in this thread had nothing to do with
this, so its really worth a try ;)

I've used crosstool successfully under Cygwin without having to shorten the path or use a managed mount. But I do have /bin and /usr/bin mounted "cygexec" which bypasses any of Windows' command line length restrictions when exec'ing processes under those paths. But this trick can only work when a Cygwin process execs another Cygwin process -- so whatever paths you mount cygexec have to contain only Cygwin binaries, and not native win32 apps.

The Windows path length restriction of 260 still applies at all times,
but I did not run into this with a build directory of
"/e/build/crosstool-0.38".
Thanks for the various bits of information. I actually ended up taking the/an easy way out: I simply created a VMWare guest OS with Red Hat 9, which has matching versions of everything else on the other RH server. According to some reports, I may get up to 80% native speed, so this seems a far cry better than Cygwin, with no messy path restrictions to boot.

I guess the next step will be to fix concurrency bugs in my Makefile, then see about doing the SPARC version. Any tips for either?