Undetected duplicate symbols

Hi All,

With my mips_r4kbe-gcc (GCC) 3.4.4/GNU ld version 2.16.1 tool chain I encountered this problem:

My application had an entry point called _start(). At the same time, the linker script also defined _start. I would have expected a linker error (duplicate symbol or such), but there was none. In the assembly code however, due to -O2, the intended _start() function had been moved someplace else in the text segment and seemd to have no symbol anymore.

In the past I used gcc-3.2.x which apparently didn't move functions so much and left _start at the same place where the linker script defined it, too. So, by chance, things went well then.

Now, does anybody know why I don't get an error, or what linker option I might have to throw to get one?

Thanks,
Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger@sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software