Re: local patches feature

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006, Robert Schwebel wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 12:41:52PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > If someone feels like digging up or rewriting the 'local patches
> > patch' that lets each site add its own set of patches off to the side,
> > I'd probably apply it. I agree it's a useful feature for sites to be
> > able to add their own features without having to copy the feature
> > patches into crosstool's patches directory.
>
> You should also consider to use a quilt like patch stack mechanism
> to manage the patch order; you don't need quilt do do so, just some
> simple shell script which reads a series file and applies the
> patches in the same order as they are written there.

all i did for my mini-script was have a PATCH_DIRS variable which is
set to the default of the current patch directory, but which you could
append other directories to, and the patches would be added in that
order.  i didn't try to get any fancier than that, so it was
essentially a shell script loop wrapped around the normal patch
processing.

is there (at least for now) any need for it to be more complicated
than that?  (my philosophy is that this feature is primarily for
testing, and that ultimately useful patches would be submitted to CT.)

rday