Re: local patches feature

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 01:26:04PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Yep, alphabetical, but with crosstool's patches always
> applied first, then the local site patches.

No, I mean in one directory. Crosstool currently does this:

        for p in $TOP_DIR/patches/$BASENAME/*patch* \
             $TOP_DIR/patches/$BASENAME/*.diff; do
	[...]
        done

This is pretty bad, because IMHO the order of the wildcard expansion is
undefined. For example for LANG=de_DE the output order of ls is different than
for LANG=C. So you should either pipe the patch list through 'sort', to get a
well defined alphabetic order, or, better, use a series file, to define
the order _by function_ instead of by name.

As long as patches are orthogonal it doesn't matter, but there are
patches which are not and that ends up in an uggly mess.

With a 'series' file you can even have lots of patches in a directory
which are different solutions for one problem and select one "patch set"
by putting the right patches into one series file. There also might be
different series files, but only one is named (or linked) "series".

Robert
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9