Crosstool's sanitized headers

Crosstool supports "sanitized Linux headers". What exactly is a "sanitized" header? In what way are the original headers "dirty"? I was hoping to find an explanation of this in the crosstool docs or by searching Google, but all I can see is a changelog that the patch was applied.

Specifically, I'm wondering what is the purpose of specifying different versions for LINUX_DIR and LINUX_SANITIZED_HEADER_DIR. For example, gcc-3.4.4-glibc-2.3.3-hdrs-2.6.11.2.dat sets 2.6.8 for Linux and 2.6.11.2 for the headers. Isn't that a potential compatibility problem?

Also, in crosstool-0.38, many (all?) of the .dat files specify both LINUX_SANITIZED_HEADER_DIR and LINUX_DIR. However, crosstool issues a warning if both are specified and ignores LINUX_DIR (see line 43 of crosstool.sh). Is this a bug in the .dat files?

Trevor