Re: crosstool-0.40 released: gcc-4.1 rc1 support

I think I'll need it this year, too. I don't have a plan yet.

Could you tell me more about what's your reasons for doing the crosstool
stuff? I'd like to learn more about your aims, just to understand what's
driving the development on your side.

I started when I was at Ixia, where we had embedded systems that used
sh4, ppc405, and ppc750. Now I'm at Google, and we mostly just use
mainline desktop processors (unless you count the tivo's we run at home :-)
We chiefly need to track newer releases of gcc, and binutils too if
they speed up ld.
We have to support a range of glibc's; it's not practical to require
my users to update glibc. I fondly remember my embedded days, and
I want to make sure crosstool remains useful for embedded developers.
I'd also like it to be useful for ISV's trying to build for every CPU
type supported
by Linux.

I work in embedded systems. My clients have new and old Linux based projects. In many cases the client will choose to stick with older toolchains and libraries because they are a known quantity. It would be detrimental to me and my clients if this utility did not support older versions of GCC and libc.

Another point I would like to reiterate is that cross compilers are not only for new development or foreign processor development. As you mentioned Dan in your crosstool presentation two years ago at SCALE, cross compilers are also required to create applications compatible with multiple library versions. This is very important if you are creating binary application packages to run on various Linux distributions.

There is many things I wish crosstool did, eliminating support for old compilers and libraries is not one of them.

- Allen