Re: crosstool-0.40 released: gcc-4.1 rc1 support

On 2/21/06, Allen Curtis <acurtis@onz.com> wrote:
> I work in embedded systems. My clients have new and old Linux based
> projects. In many cases the client will choose to stick with older
> toolchains and libraries because they are a known quantity. It would be
> detrimental to me and my clients if this utility did not support older
> versions of GCC and libc.

What do you think about removing support for, say, gcc-3.3.4 when
we add support for gcc-3.3.6?  i.e. keeping only the two most
recent micro releases of each main track of gcc?

> Another point I would like to reiterate is that cross compilers are not
> only for new development or foreign processor development. As you
> mentioned Dan in your crosstool presentation two years ago at SCALE,
> cross compilers are also required to create applications compatible
> with multiple library versions. This is very important if you are
> creating binary application packages to run on various Linux
> distributions.

Gee, I guess people did notice that talk!  I got several thank-yous
for that recently.  If anyone's curious, the slides are up at
http://kegel.com/linux/embed/
- Dan