Re: crosstool-0.40 released: gcc-4.1 rc1 support

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Robert Schwebel wrote:

There is no inherently bad thing with using old software unless you are in
need for newer features or just the fun playing with new software.

It would be pretty cool if people would just read what I wrote.

I thought I did :-)

You wrote:

You changed anything, new patches, new host system? Well, then
you'll have to re-qualify anyway, so there is no difference to using
current versions.

And I answered to this: if I change my "host" or "anything", that's still no reason to update the rest of the software involved, just because I have a set of regressions. (Having which is generally a very good thing indeed, of course.)

But I give you that I probably over-interpreted you. I just wanted to make a "updates are usually much more dangerous than they seem" kind of point.

No offense intended, of course.

Marius

--
Marius Groeger <mgroeger@sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software