Crosstools on Mac OS X 10.4.4 for ppc

Has anyone succeeded in running crosstools 0.40 on OS X for a ppc compiler? I've tried a number of the different scripts and I either get a failed compilation for a generated C program in gprof or 'ld' and 'as' are old versions for the "glibc-2.3.3". ld comes up as version ?.? and 'as' as 1.38 during the configuration .

I believe I'm up to date with all the apple xcode updates.

'as -v' is:
Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-590.18.obj~10, GNU assembler version 1.38

'ld -v' is(explaining the version' :
Apple Computer, Inc. version cctools-590.18.obj~10

Is there another way to do what I want to do? I just want to be able to build ELF format PPC executables. As far as I can tell I cannot do that with the tools which come with xcode which compile to mach-o but is there something I'm missing or a script I can get?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Stefan