PPC Kernel no output message after uncompress

Good Day!

Hope you can give me some advise here...

I am able to build the kernel image (v2.6.7) with
toolchain gcc-3.4.1 glibc-2.3.3.  The U-Boot seems to
uncompress the kernel image fine, but then no message
is ever seen in the console after these, and it seems
that the system hangs. So the last message I can see
from console is:

Uncompressing Kernel Image... OK

I have setup the bootargs as

console=ttyS0,9600 root=/dev/ram rw

and I make sure that this is the same with the default
boot argument during kernel configuration (from make
menuconfig).

It seems to me that the load_kernel() function is not
even called since the output messages there are not
displayed.

If the execution has not reached this function, I'm
thinking that the hangup occurs in head.S or
relocate.S.  But then, it will be painful (atleast for
me) to debug this since this is in assembly, and at
this point, I don't know how to insert an assembly
code to display something in the screen.  I also think
that these codes are unlikely to have a bug.  So
before I go further, maybe:

1.  someone knows that I don't need to debug with
these assembly codes, but rather I just forgot to set
something else in the kernel.  For example, do I
forgot to change some macro definitions that should
match my platform? (Virtex-4 PPC405)

2.  someone could give advise on how to debug this
kind of problem better.

Thanks!

*
Richard