Re: Failure to boot into cross built environment (iWMMXt NPTL EABI)

On Monday 24 April 2006 01:40, Steven Newbury wrote:
> --- Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > for setting up the cross-compiler there is a helper 'crossdev' script
> > which takes care of all the mundane details ...
> > # emerge crossdev
> > # crossdev arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi
>
> I did try that at first but at the time there were no released version of
> anything with the support in place.  Since I had to dig into and learn
> about how gcc works I ended up doing all myself anyway.  I've learnt a lot
> from this project in the last couple of months!

yeah, that's the trouble with cross-compiling ... not a lot of documentation
around as it tends to change often

but i'd like `crossdev arm-iwmmxt-linux-gnueabi` to "just work" since we have
all the releases in portage now (binutils-2.16.9x / gcc-4.1.0 / glibc-2.4)

> Yes, great minds think alike; I did just that!  It's a shame a lot of
> packages are broken with respect to cross compiling, especially python!

hmm, python should work (or least i fixed it sometime ago, it may have broken
since) ... if it's failing, please file a bug and assign it to
embedded@gentoo.org

> I did hope I'd be able to cross-compile a working ARM/iWMMXt/NPTL/EABI based
> Gentoo (stage1 at least)!

i was able to port Gentoo to SuperH/armeb using just emerge and
cross-compiling a stage1 ... the stage1->stage3+ i did natively :)
-mike