Re: init hang after upgrading ARM-Linux toolchain

I don't think you really want a statically linked /sbin/init.
Statically linking glibc hasn't been very well supported for quite
some time, and that goes double for NPTL; glibc wants to check for
/lib/tls and fall back to linuxthreads if it's not available, and that
probably doesn't coexist well with static linking.  Let it link
against the shared form of libc6, put that in /lib (and make sure
/lib/tls exists so that the kernel can expose thread-local storage
there), and see if you get farther.

If you do this, you will also need to make sure your ld.so.conf and
library symlinks are set up right; ldconfig is the usual way to do
this.  In fact, I would recommend that you bring things up with
busybox's init; busybox also implements ldconfig (if you configure it
in) and related bits, so it's rather easier to get a functional
userspace off the ground with it.  Next chance I get to look at this,
I will be using PTXdist to build a busybox-centric userland; I will
report on what I learn.

Cheers,
- Michael