armxscale cross compiler build under cygwin

I am trying to build an armxscale-linux target cross compiler that runs
under cygwin host (windows XP). I tried crosstools-0.38 and 0.42
but both versions break at some point and i haven't been logging
the outputs. I tried using the same steps as in crosstools in
my own scripts...

binutils-2.15
cygwinheaders-1.5.15-1
gcc bootstrap-3.3.2
cygwin full install
gcc full install

and also tried the steps as they are described on
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/cg/prog-build-cross.html

headers from cygwin install
binutils-20050610-1 (cygwin source)
gcc (gcc-core-3.3.3-1 cygwin source)

However for both builds i get the same error :

../libiberty/libiberty.a: could not read symbols: Archive has no index; run ranlib to add one
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [gengenrtl.exe] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory ../build/gcc-build-bootstrap/gcc'
make[1]: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory ../build/gcc-build-bootstrap'

I tried finding problem reports about this error but could not find any answers...
If anyone has any idea where i could start looking for the problem,
i'd be very grateful.

Thanks
 Nils