RE: unrecognized option `-mcpu32'

On 20 July 2006 12:18, Mike Dorin wrote:

> Hello,
> Bill was right,
> If I change my path so that the new 'as' is in the
> front, I can compile and build.
> I should have tried that before...
> However, I have never needed to do that before.
> We simply compiled with m68k-elf-gcc and it seems
> m68k-elf-as was always called.  Oh well.

  Well, yes, you're right.  There's something still wrong, although it could
simply be that gcc accepts 'as' if it finds that in the search path before
'm68k-elf-as'.  I would call that a bug, though; gcc should be looking for the
properly program-prefixed name first, and accept that anywhere on the path in
preference to using an unadorned 'as', which is a fallback-of-last-resort.

  If you wanted to look any further at this, it would be instructive to try
running the two commands

m68k-elf-gcc -print-prog-name=as

m68k-elf-gcc -print-prog-name=m68k-elf-as

with your $PATH set both ways round, and see how they differ.

    cheers,
      DaveK