Cross-compiling for DLX with GCC-3.x.y

Hi there

i was wondering if there is still work going on for a dlx-elf backend in a
recent GCC (let's say gcc3). I recall some time ago that Dave Korn had posted
some messages about that. The last backend known to me would be around
gcc-2.7.x. However, many conventions have changed since then regarding the
backend code.

I would like to ask:

1. What is the status of the backend? (if there is one of course)
2. Is it available? (even not completely working)
3. Any issues regarding the host machine. Does cross-compilation work for
x86/linux and/or x86/cygwin?

Thanks in advance
Nikolaos Kavvadias