Re: building gcc on cygwin with --target=i486-linux-gnu

DK> On 08 October 2006 14:27, Alexander Kotelnikov wrote:
>>
>> I tried to build gcc 4.1.1 as a cross-compiler for i486-linux-gnu on
>> cygwin and the build failed with error
>>
>> /opt/bin/i486-linux-gnu-ld: cannot find /lib/libc.so.6
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[3]: *** [libgcc_s.so] Error 1
>>
>> And there is really no /lib/libc.so.6 on cygwin. Can anyone explain
>> what does this mean?
DK>
DK>   It means libc for the target, not the host!

Hm... This explains something. But isn't it weird when linker tries to
find target libc in /lib/libc.so.6? not in some specific place like
/opt/i486-linux-gnu-ld/lib or some place like this, at least when I
built a gcc cross compiler for sparc on linux the build process tried
/opt/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/lib/libc.so.

DK> glibc for the same target at the same time.  If you have the pre-existing
DK> libs, you copy them onto your build machine and point configure at them using
DK> --with-sysroot (or --with-headers and --with-libs, but --with-sysroot is
DK> preferred these days).

A-ha, --sys-root, ok, thanks.

DK>   What's the actual target you want to cross-compile for?  Do you have a
DK> particular linux system in mind?

May be. Think it is a good idea to build for a concrete system first.

Thanks,
--
Alexander Kotelnikov
Saint-Petersburg, Russia