Trouble building powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu toolchain on Mac OS X with crosstool 0.42

From: Jon Sharp <jon@jonsharp.net>
Date: October 20, 2006 9:49:00 AM CDT
To: crossgcc@sourceware.org
Subject: Trouble building powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu toolchain on Mac OS X with crosstool 0.42

Hello all,

I have been trying to build a powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu toolchain suitable for use with my Gentoo PPC distcc setup, hosted on my Intel- based Macintosh, running Mac OS X 10.4.7. First of all, I'm actually trying to match the values of my Gentoo 2006.1 toolchain, which are GCC 4.1.1, Binutils 2.17, and Glibc 2.4. I created a gcc-4.1.1- glibc-2.4.dat file with these values in an attempt to get it to build, but alas, it did not work, as it choked on binutils as described below. I then went on to try one of the existing .dat files, and it failed in a similar way.

I read in some of the mailing list archives I found that there seems to be a problem with the Mac OS X-bundled make when trying to build gprof in binutils. A workaround seemed to be to invoke make with '- r'. That did appear to get me past that particular problem as I was able to get through the binutils build. However, I then get stuck on the glibc build when the configure script times out trying to get the version of 'as'.

Anyway, I was hoping that perhaps someone knew of some of these existing Mac OS X host platform problems and knew of possible workarounds. My Gentoo PPC box is a 400Mhz G3, and I would love to improve compilation times by distcc'ing the work over to my much faster Intel Mac.

Thanks again!

--
Jon

Jon Sharp IT Consulting jon@jonsharp.net (615) 579-5868 http://jonsharp.net