Profiling file accesses to pare down filesystem

Not strictly a cross-compling issue, but since there are so many
embedded gurus here I thought I'd give it a try:

Normally I build embedded root filesystems up from scratch including
only files that are needed by the applications, but in my present
situation I've inherited a very large pre-existing filesystem to which
many people have contributed thousands and thousands of files.  I need
to eliminate the cruft to make it smaller.

I would like to automatically generate a list of files accessed by the
product's applications.  I figure there must be some software out
there for logging this info straight out of the Linux kernel.  I could
use strace, but I'm looking for something more automatic that I can
start at boot and harvest after a simulated lifecycle of the product.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave