Re: Profiling file accesses to pare down filesystem

David Wuertele wrote:
I would like to automatically generate a list of files accessed by the product's applications. I figure there must be some software out
there for logging this info straight out of the Linux kernel. I could use strace, but I'm looking for something more automatic that I
can start at boot and harvest after a simulated lifecycle of the product.

Any suggestions?

Check the last paragraph of http://make.paulandlesley.org/autodep.html Note there is a link to source there.

"An interesting idea has been proposed by Han-Wen Nienhuys and he has
a small "proof of concept" implementation, although it currently only
works on Linux. He suggests using the LD_PRELOAD environment to
insert special shared library that contains a replacement for the
open(2) system call."

-Nathan