Re: More ARM binutils fuckage

On 12/5/06, Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
There is no such thing as soft VFP.

Patches have been floating around for quite some time that implement soft float with VFP parameter passing conventions (which notably implies native endianness, unlike FPA). They all seem to derive from Nicolas Pitre's patch at http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm/2003-October/006436.html , which is said to have some bugs but to supply the majority of the needed functionality. (See, for instance, http://www.busybox.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/branches/buildroot.mjn3/toolchain/gcc/3.4.6/arm-softfloat.patch.conditional?rev=14854&view=auto.) I assume that I'm not the first to fix it up for gcc 4.1.1.

I can only talk from the requirements of the kernel.  gcc 3.4.3 is
the minimum for ARM, which with binutils 2.17 will allow you to build
the kernel as OABI in *any* configuration.  No patches required for
either.

It would be nice if this appeared prominently in Documentation/arm/whatever so that vendors who are stuck on gcc 3.3 (and binutils so old that they comment things out in vmlinux.lds) can be encouraged to move forward.

Cheers,
- Michael