Re: More ARM binutils fuckage

Lennert Buytenhek said the following on 12/5/2006 6:24 PM:
On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 05:59:59PM -0800, Michael K. Edwards wrote:

I use a bog-standard gcc 4.1.0 to cross-compile all my ARM kernels
with, which allows me to build both old-ABI and EABI kernels. (These
days I build all kernels in EABI mode with old-ABI compat.) I have
not run into any code generation issues with this compiler yet.
Is this gcc configured with -gnu or -gnueabi?

-gnu. It is a common misconception that you would need an EABI
toolchain to build an EABI kernel. You can use any gcc 4.1 to build
EABI kernels with.

I guess there are two things here.

1. The kernel is capable of running EABI binaries.

For this case you do not require a EABI toolchain so configuring gcc with arm*-*-linux-gnu would do.

2. Kernel itself it compiled as EABI binary.

This would need a complete EABI toolchain. (configure with arm*-*-linux-gnueabi )

Are you using crosstool to do the inject-glibc-headers dance? If so,
are you still using a pre-2.4 glibc without the "ports" add-on?

The toolchain I use for crosscompiling EABI kernels is an 'old-ABI'
toolchain with gcc 4.1.0 and glibc 2.3.2, and was built by crosstool
0.42.
for arm nptl and EABI gcc 4.1 and above, binutils cvs (quite stable on arm) + glibc 2.4 works for me.
all patches needed are in crosstool repo.

-- Khem Raj <kraj@mvista.com> MontaVista Software Inc.