Re: mips & binutils 2.15, gcc 3.4.5, glibc 2.3.6

Chris MacGregor wrote:
Isn't it fun building toolchains for lightly supported systems?

well, it would be if it was my job and I could justify taking the time
to actually understand what's going on. not so much when they just want
me to give them a toolchain that works and get back to my official job
as fast as possible...
I don't have any particular insight as to what might be the problem. I guess look at the failing .s file and try to fix it.

yeah, that's next. I was just wondering if you were using another patch that you had forgotten to mention or something like that.

I have a ton of patches. Your original question was about binutils problems. So I didn't mention any of my other patches.

I have patches to build glibc 2.3.3 and 2.3.5. You are not using either of those versions so they would not apply cleanly, and are probably inappropriate.

You could try building your glibc with a different binutils version, so that you get the base of a working toolchain. Then after you have your glibc built, switch to a newer binutils so that the ld and gas bugs don't kill you. Most of the ld and gas bugs don't affect small C programs (like glibc). It is usually only when building either very large programs or those written in C++ that any of the recent binutils fixes are needed. All of the issues I have found and fixed are related to compiling and linking libgcj (which is both very large and has some c++ code in it).

David Daney