Re: OSS-QM global patch repository

Enrico,

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 01:11:27PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> I'm maintaining an collection of patches which ie. are necessary
> for sysroot'ed build, etc. Once it got larger an larger I started
> an project called "OSS QM Taskforce".

Generally a good idea; there are way too many projects out there which
produce real fixes and nobody ever has time to feed them upstream (I've
also Cc'd Rene Rebe who does a similar thing for T2).

> It'g goal: Maintain fixes for lots of packages to make them build and
> work cleanly. Concentrate all those works which are currently done
> internally by the distro's. From user side, it supplies an
> stabelized/hotfixes branch for each package/release in the repository.

IMHO the main question is: who will finance that effort. We in the
PTXdist team try hard to do our fixes in a way that they are a)
documented and b) upstream feedable, which means no quick hacks but real
fixes. Usually they end in the PTXdist patch repository, because nobody
has the time to feed them upstream, do all the discussion with the
maintainers etc while doing day-by-day project work.

So if there is some volunteer or any other possibility to raise founding
for a fulltime patch feeder, I'd very much welcome it and support it as
good as we can.

So could you elaborate how you think this plan could be done?

Robert
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9