Re: glibc-2.3.6. patch for better i686 compatibility

On Thursday 19 April 2007, Gregor Riepl wrote:
> building a i686-linux-crossgcc (for efi) on mac os x didn't work out
> for me, since gcc 4.1.0 (and maybe other versions) defines the symbol
> __i686 to "1" when the target is i686.

close, but not quite ... the error comes up when the gcc has been configured
with a --with-arch option that corresponds to i686 or higher

http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2006-04/msg00090.html

> glibc 2.3.6 on the other hand
> uses __i686 in some symbol names. this causes the compile to break.
> i collected all the patches i could find on several mailing lists,
> plus some of my own.
> a related bug with a misplaced macro is included too.

looks like your patch contains a superflous hunk against memcmp.S and a bogus
comment in sysdep.h ...

perhaps a better patch:
http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gentoo/src/patchsets/glibc/2.5/1130_all_glibc-2.4-undefine-__i686.patch
-mike