How to include "libbfd" support in cross-gcc setup?

I just found that I have to support some software using "libbfd" in my gcc cross compilation setup. On my older installations I don't have a libbfd, so I'm rebuilding the cross compiler so that it may be provided...

But how exactly is this supposed to be done? I mean, it seems to me that I somehow have to build this lib in a separate step. I libbfd build is done already, of course, but as far as I can understand, this will provide binaries suitable for link into the cross compiler and related tools, as opposed to link into cross-compiled applications (which is what I want.)

I suppose one way of doing it is to add another build step that starts with something like

mkdir build-bfd; cd build-bfd
../binutils-*/bfd/configure --target=${cross_target} --host=${cross_target} --prefix=${sysroot}

And I'm actually testing this right now. But is this the "correct" way? Or the best way? Is anyone else doing anything like this? How?

- Toralf