RE: How to include "libbfd" support in cross-gcc setup?

On 23 April 2007 14:33, Toralf Lund wrote:

> But how exactly is this supposed to be done? I mean, it seems to me that
> I somehow have to build this lib in a separate step. I libbfd build is
> done already, of course, but as far as I can understand, this will
> provide binaries suitable for link into the cross compiler and related
> tools, as opposed to link into cross-compiled applications (which is
> what I want.)

  Yes, exactly.

> I suppose one way of doing it is to add another build step that starts
> with something like
>
> mkdir build-bfd; cd build-bfd
> ../binutils-*/bfd/configure --target=${cross_target}
> --host=${cross_target} --prefix=${sysroot}

  Almost right, but two things:

1)  If you specify --host and --target, you'll need to specify --build as
well, otherwise configure will assume it's the same as the other two and that
you're trying to do a native build.

2)  Don't *ever* refer directly to the configure scripts below top-level.  You
/must/ always invoke top level configure.  Let it do the recursive stuff.  You
don't need to build the whole tree even though you need to run the top-level
configure, you can always specify "make all-target-bfd" on your command line.

    cheers,
      DaveK