Re: How to include "libbfd" support in cross-gcc setup?

Toralf Lund wrote:

> > You can just get this as a side effect of building your standard
> > cross-binutils instead of an extra step by adding
> > --enable-install-libbfd to the toplevel configure.
> >
> Won't that install the wrong type of binary? (See my original post.)

You're right, that will give you a host-libbfd and you want a
target-libbfd.  I scanned too fast.

I think the reason that you are having trouble installing just libbfd
from a binutils tree is that it was never designed to be a standalone
library, only for consumption by projects in the 'src' tree, i.e. gdb,
binutils, sim, etc.  It isn't maintained with a stable interface, or
versioned at all.  I'm rather surprised that a third party project uses
it without providing their own in-tree copy of it, given this interface
instability.  I would expect a lot of trouble with version conflicts if
they expect you to just drop in some libbfd of unspecified date.

Brian