Re: How to include "libbfd" support in cross-gcc setup?

Brian Dessent wrote:
Toralf Lund wrote:

You can just get this as a side effect of building your standard
cross-binutils instead of an extra step by adding
--enable-install-libbfd to the toplevel configure.

Won't that install the wrong type of binary? (See my original post.)

You're right, that will give you a host-libbfd and you want a
target-libbfd. I scanned too fast.
OK
I think the reason that you are having trouble installing just libbfd
from a binutils tree is that it was never designed to be a standalone
library, only for consumption by projects in the 'src' tree, i.e. gdb,
binutils, sim, etc. It isn't maintained with a stable interface, or
versioned at all.
Yeah, I suppose you are right.
I'm rather surprised that a third party project uses
it without providing their own in-tree copy of it, given this interface
instability. I would expect a lot of trouble with version conflicts if
they expect you to just drop in some libbfd of unspecified date.
It's the "mpatrol" library. I wanted to be able to link my application with this in order to track down some (suspected) memory errors. Or actually, I wanted "dmalloc", but had some problems building it, and based on something I read on the web, I thought those would be very hard to sort out. So I turned to mpatrol. And I successfully built it, too, but then I found that it was not so hard to get dmalloc up and running after all...

So now I have two ways of checking memory. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be enough, as I'm equally confused by both. They report one zillion errors on "free" calls from within libstdc++, and nothing that seems to be related to the issue I'm debugging... My standard lib may actually be badly broken, of course, but the program isn't *that* unstable, if you know what I mean...

- Toralf