Targetting Sparc/Solaris

Hi,

I have been trying to build executables for a client who uses Sparc/Solaris from an Intel machine. The basic question is: is this possible? Is it possible with reasonable effort?

Our application builds on Windows, Linux, Solaris (Nexenta/Belenix/sometimes running under VMware), and under crosstools 0.43 on Linux/Solaris (targetting Sparc). The crosstools compiled version gives a "can't find ld-linux.so.2" error on the client's machine (even when built under Solaris). Statically linking gives an illegal instruction. ldd on the Solaris (non-crosstools) built ELF shows no link to ld-linux.so. Is this always going to be a problem because crosstools is using it's private copy of Linux libraries even under Solaris?

The client machine does have some GNU tools/libraries but I don't have access to it, so getting things like LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc. right is an issue if that's the solution. I had read that there is generally a level of compatibility between Linux and Solaris ELFs, so was hopeful that this would work somehow.

Does anyone have any better suggestions? What are the potential issues if we decide to buy an old Sparc machine?

--
sam brightman