RE: Email-Adresses in clear text

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 16:09 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> c)  Party B wishes Party A to perform out-of-the-routine maintenance and admin
> work on said system for reasons of personal preference based on their own
> failure to understand said system before using it.

Actually, this is the root of the problem. It is not out-of-the-routine.
In fact, the routine practice on most email lists these days is
obfuscation of email addresses.

A further problem in this case is that the sourceware policy makes it
clear that the list administrator was cognizant of the issue. That is
negligence, at best. The offer to charge for correction makes things
rather more sticky.

As to legal threats, I stated that I did not intend any legal action
against sourceware.org. I don't. For the record, I don't intend any
action against Chris either, but when someone adopts the lousy attitude
that he adopted, it is appropriate to point out that lousy attitudes can
carry a cost. Whether the legal action would have merit is one matter.
Whether a poster angered by a crappy attitude might feel inclined to
test in a court is the real issue -- and much less certain. They don't
have to win the case to make life profoundly irritating for people at
sourceware -- which was my real point.

On balance, wouldn't it be better all around for the people involved in
running the list to exercise simple courtesy and human decency rather
than arrogance and incompetent extortionism?

shap