RE: Installing GCC on a Redhat AS 2.1

On 05 October 2007 21:32, Carlos Narváez wrote:

>  I'm on my second day of settiung up my Linux Server. The Flavor I
> installed is the RedHat As 2.1, I was supposed to install PostgreSQL
> 8.1 but when I tried doing so, it said that I do not have any valid C
> Compiler. I tried typing "man gcc" just to see and it appears I do not
> have any gcc on my box.
>
> So I downloaded one, and when I tried to configure its prefix it said:
>
> [root@localhost gcc-4.1.1]# ./configure --prefix="/sbin/gcc"
> checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
> checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
> checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether ln works... yes
> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
>
> Any help? I couldn't quite figure out why it's now looking for cc...

  Chicken, meet Egg.  Egg, meet Chicken.  Which one of you two would like to
go first?

  Right, while they're trying to make their minds up, I'll explain.  The
situation is exactly what it says it is: it's looking for 'cc', or any other
compiler.  Gcc is itself written in C, and you need a C compiler to be able to
compile it with....

  When you're bringing up a new system from zero this can be a bit tricky, and
you generally solve it by using a different machine that already has a
compiler to build a cross-compiler that targets your machine without any
compiler, then you use that cross-compiler to build a compiler that will run
natively on the compilerless machine.

  Given that you've got redhat, you should be able to download a compiler in
RPM format somewhere quite easily.  You could then either use it directly or
use it to build your gcc-4.1.1 sources with if you wanted.

    cheers,
      DaveK