Re: cross-gcc for arm7tdmi-s with soft-float and thumb-interwork

Christian Klippel wrote:
dear crossgcc list people,

after banging my head to the wall for some days now to get an arm-gcc toolchain compiled, i finally gave up on trying my self and need to ask people who have much more knowledge about these things ...

the situation is as follows:
so far i've been happily compiling code for an arm7tdmi-s based core using the following toolchain: http://opensrc.sec.samsung.com/download/arm-uclinux-tools-base-gcc3.4.0-20040713.sh

the code works just fine, and it uses thumb-interworking since a few files are copiled as thumb in my project (the code is at svn://svn.mamalala.org/boop/trunk)

but now i reached a point where i need some of the libc functions as well as some basic math functions using soft-float, since the chip (an lpc2220) doesnt have a fpu. unfortunately the above toolchain has no thumb-interworking enabled in its libs, so i can not use it for that.

the last two days i spent with the crosstool script from http://kegel.com/crosstool/ but to no avail so far.

probably i'm either too dumb to get a toolchain compiled correctly for my needs, or i'm overlooking something obvious. so, i need some helping hand to get myself such a toolchain compiled. much preferred is if someone could tell me how to build one on linux-x86 instead of pointing me to a readily-available toolchain, so i can learn from that (and eventually get the same toolchain running on cygwin or mingw at some point)

so, what i need is a way to build a toolchain that:
a) targets the arm7tdmi-s chip with full 32 bit address-space
b) uses soft-float only
c) has thumb-interworking enabled, and
d) runs on a x86 host, linux for a start is just perfect.

it has to compile stand-alone code, i.e. the resulting code does not run under a linux system, instead a binary file is produced out of the linked .elf file, and then uploaded to the (external) flash. since some people in our project are on windows it would be great if i could get the same toolchain compiled on cygwin or mingw as well, to make them happy.

is there any hope for me, or am i just lost on this one, and have to reimplement all the needed functions myself (like sprintf, memcpy, etc...)?

thanks for listening, and in the hope to find some answers,

chris

Hi Chris,

I had also some trouble compiling the toolchain for ARM9 CPU. I found the solution by taking the croos-toolchain provided by Debian http://www.emdebian.org/tools/crosstools.html. So if it works for you, you can simply install VMWare Player (http://www.vmware.com/) and use your Debain distribution under Windows. Take a look at this project http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xming for better integration of the VMWare in your WIndows environment. This are my researches on available toolchains:
http://www.yagarto.de/
http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/arm_projects/#winarm
http://www.codesourcery.com/
http://www.gnuarm.com/