Build my own cross-compiler for non Linux Targets (MIPS, ARM, PPC)

Hi all.
I would like to build my own cross-compiler.
As the Host/Build plateform is an x86/Linux system, using gcc seems to
be the best way to build a cross-compiler, doesn't it ?
Ideally, there would be 3 different targets such as ARM, MIPS and
PowerPC, without any running OS. Actually, I just would like to
generate the relevant machine code for each target.
The cross-compiler(s) are used in order to compile C language
applications only (not for building a Linux kernel for instance, and
no other language than C to support).

+ Does anybody know the procedure to build such a cross compiler, I
mean how to directly compile to machine code?

+ Which C library would you advise me to use / What is the most
suitable one for embedded systems among the newlib, glibc, uClib or
any else?

Any piece of information, advice or experience to share would be
greatly appreciated.
I hope not to bother you too much, I guess it must be a subject you've
already dealt with.

Thks a lot.

Julian