RE: Strange `find` syntax error in crosstool-ng

On 28 January 2008 11:45, Michael Abbott wrote:

>> the shell command separator).  The SVR4 edition of Unix introduced a
>> slight variation, which involves terminating the command with `+' instead:

>> specify a number of commands to run in parallel.  However, the `find
>> ... -exec ... +' construct has the advantage of wide portability.  GNU
>> findutils did not support `-exec ... +' until version 4.2.12; one of
>> the reasons for this is that it already had the `-print0' action in any
>> case.
>
> Odd language there: "the ... + construct has the advantage of wide
> portability ... [it was] not support[ed] until version 4.2.12".  Perhaps
> they meant to say "does not have" instead of "has"?

  I think they mean "this has wide portability (because of the popularity of
SVR4 Unix), so we decided to adopt it too (as of 4.2.12)".

> Ah well: that explains my confusion, makes more sense.
>
> I guess either the ./configure script needs to detect this, or we could
> just use the \; terminator, as actually we don't really need xargs like
> behaviour for rm!  (This step runs briskly enough anyway.)

  Unless there's some kind of portability issue with it, surely the best
answer of all is to replace the whole kit and kaboodle with find's `-delete'
operator?

    cheers,
      DaveK