Re: MIPS cross-compiler to build kernel for SGI O2?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, David Daney wrote:

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
  has anyone verified that they have a MIPS toolchain that will
cross-compile a linux kernel to run on an SGI O2?  thanks.

Yes, I have built recent kernels for my O2 with both GCC-4.2 and
GCC-4.3 cross compilers running on x86_64-pc-linux.

did you start from scratch and do a linux install on your O2?

Yes.

if so,
can you supply the details?

First I installed debian for the O2, then I replaced the kernel with a cross built 2.4.23 and 2.4.25 built on my x86_64-pc-linux system. Both 2.4.23 and 2.4.25 boot with no problem for me.

and which version is your O2?  R5000 or
R10000?

R5000

The r10000 is not well supported. Messages posted to linux-mips.org indicated that the r10000 problems are being worked on.

 thanks.  (and the config file you used to generate the
toolchain with crosstool would be great.  in other words, how did you
do it from beginning to end?)

I don't use cross tool.

Follow the instructions for cross linux-from-scratch for mips64 except don't apply any of the patches as current binutils and GCC don't require them.

rday --

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.