Source retrieval [WAS: Oops. Now mpfr website is broken.]

* Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:

Hi,

> On Monday 19 May 2008 04:48:24 invain wrote:
> > So, I connect to http://www.mpfr.org/ (
> > ct-ng-1.1.1/scripts/build/mpfr.sh  realted site. ) website.
> >  I meeted below error message.
> > "Not found this site"..
>
> I'm not responsible for that! :-)))

BTW: a few days ago, I had a similar problem: ftp.gnu.org was down.
I had to manally tweak ct-ng to try mirrors, which is an ugly job
(the manual tweaking) ;-o

This is an ideal point to announce one of my projects:

    Comprehensive Source Database

    http://sourcefarm.metux.de/

It's an database of dozens of packages with (virtually) all their
versions and download URLs (most of them are scanned automatically).
You can directly retrieve the download URL(s) by an given package
name and version. There's an simple HTTP redirector which gives
an uniform URL scheme to directly fetch an package with given version.
(Package names and versions are strictly normalized).

Example:
http://sourcefarm.metux.de/robot/query-download-url/?package=binutils&version=2.18.0.0&encoding=tar.gz

Well, my server isn't guaranteed to be always on-line (just sitting
behind an DSL), but we could simply mirror it (maybe even on multiple
domains), so the whole infrastructure should get reliable enough for us.

The source is available at: svn://nibiru.metux.de/public/csdb/
(anonymous:anonymous)

> > Mr. yann.morin.1998 ~~
> > How about you  save to the your server default files (ex: gcc , glibc
> > , mpfr ) execpt for upper version
> > to stability about donwload?
>
> I can't aford to host all those files on my small server, hosted at my home.
> My DSL line is neither fast nor reliable enough to host heavy services such
> as mirrors of those files. Bandwidth usage is already high...

I could mirror it on some of my boxes and add a record to CSDB :)

cu